Thanks to all the parents who volunteered to chaperone our Pima Air and Space Museum field trip. We read about the Wright Brothers prior to our visit so students could have some background knowledge about the history of flight.
Things to Know:
• students will be visited by the Tucson Symphony tomorrow. This is a wonderful opportunity to become more familiar with particular instruments within a small setting. It gives students a preview and understanding of potential instruments they may want to play in our school band.
Friday, Feb. 8 – Stem Night – 5:30 to 7:30. There will be food trucks and of course, 4th grade science fair boards will be showcased.
Thursday, Feb. 14 – Valentine’s Day – Relaxed Dress. Valentine’s dress if desired.
Friday, Feb. 15 -crazy socks day. Students are required to wear their uniforms on this day.
Valentine’s Day Party
Students will be permitted to exchange Valentine’s with 4B. A class list was sent via email. We will be exchanging Valentines at the end of the day on Thursday and a small treat will be provided. Students need to supply their own bags or boxes to hold Valentines. They may exchange candy/chocolates.
• We have almost completed our unit on decimals. We have learned how to estimate in order to add or subtract more easily. This is especially important when working with money.
• Our next unit is fractions with some area and perimeter thrown in!
• We have finished editing/revising our Pennsylvania papers and have begun writing back to our pen pals in PA. Students had to share a couple of things they learned with their pen pals. Students type the letters which is great keyboarding practice.
• We have focused on the organizational trait of writing.
• We will be learning and writing about the Civil War.
• I am noodling on another personal narrative – stay tuned. I haven’t come up with a ‘brilliant’ idea yet!
• We continue to read and discuss Sign of the Beaver.
• We will compare and contrast the two characters – Attean and Matt, as well as delve into the different types of conflict within the book.
• Students will have a vocabulary test on Sign of the Beaver on Monday, Feb. 18th. I will give them the words they are required to learn. It will be matching definitions.
• We have begun reading about the Southeast and taking vocabulary notes. Students will learn more about the Civil War.
• Students will create a ‘travel poster’ on a specific Southeast State. They will be required to list three landmarks and three points of interest. Students will learn about ‘advertising’ or persuasive language to promote their state.