Things to know:
Friday, May 12 and Monday, May 15 – I will be away in Wisconsin celebrating my daughter’s graduation from UW-Madison. Woo Hoo! I am done – both kids out of college :). Ms. Burns will be subbing for me Friday and Ms. O’Shell will be my sub Monday.
Thursday, May 18 – Social Studies Midwest Test. Students have been given a study guide.
Friday, May 19th – Fine Arts Night and Free Dress Day. Please read the email sent to you from Dr. Antista and myself regarding dress, pick-up, and performance times.
• I have given quite a few quizzes in math. Please look for these in your child’s Eagle Express.
• We are learning about measurement: converting customary length, weight, volume. I am allowing students to use calculators during these lessons.
• We continue to read and discuss The Tiger Rising.
• We learned about ‘voice’. However, I have been discussing ‘voice’ in writing since the beginning of the year. Students wrote a story based on pictures. They will be editing/revising specifically for ‘voice’.
• Our class received their pen pal letters and will be writing back to their friends in Pennsylvania. Please let your child know if they can supply their home address to their pen pal in case they want to continue to write to each other in the summer.
• We wrote short inspirational and caring notes to sick children at St. Jude, St. Louis, and Monroe Carrell Jr. Children’s hospitals. This was part of the Scholastic ‘Show Someone You Care’ initiative. It was also to celebrate National Card and Letter Writing Month. I showed students videos of the children they wrote to. 🙁
• Students have been given ample time in class to complete their electronic State Projects. For those students who are not finished, they will have to complete the assignment at home.
• We have completed our Regions curriculum. I have begun teaching economics.
• We learned about the different resources, product v.s. services, and what it takes to open a business. Students will be completing a “Project Based” learning assignment that incorporates the fundamentals of economics, as well as some math applications. They will be opening up their own ‘pizza restaurant’. In this project they have to come up with a name, design a logo, choose a location, menu items, price list, develop social media ideas and business cards, and design their own signature pizza. They will also write a short and simple business plan.